(as of 2019-03-18)
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Tuesday March 05, 2019Just in time for St. Patrick's Day, Krista Baird has contributed a female version (with key changed to A) of RIV 591 - Dear Old Galway Town, to accompany Jack O'Leary's original vocal. Check it out at www.riverboat.com/records/allmp3.php#RIV591 -- and, as always, if you've already purchased RIV 591 and would like the new vocal and re-keyed instrumental tracks, contact Bob Elling directly.
We've added two more female versions to already-released songs, and we've also identified the keys on the vocals and instrumentals for those songs:
- RIV 582 - Amazing
Nelda Eaton adds a female vocal in key A to Bob Farnell's original in key F.
- RIV 1025 - I Just Called To Say I Love You (part of our 2018 Autumn package)
Krista Baird adds a female vocal in key F to Dan Nordbye's originals in keys G and F#.
Check out the samples on our website...
...and remember to contact Bob if you've already bought one of the titles and would like to get the new tracks.
Posted on Sunday February 24, 2019With only a few days left in February, we're kind of squeaking in right under the wire with our February releases. We've got three new patters, a new singer and two re-releases from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 897 - Heart Over Mind (Vocal by Tac Ozaki, Mitchell Osawa, Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Kumi)
- RIV 896 - All Of Me (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone)
- RIV 895 - You Belong To Me (Vocal and harmony by Brent Mawdsley)
- RIV 894 - Mountain Home (Patter)
- RIV 893 - Greener Grass (Patter)
- RIV 892 - Sipping Wine (Patter)
Also, with St. Patrick's Day coming up, be sure and look at the Irish songs suggested on our Themes page. We have over a dozen, including both patters and singing calls.
Posted on Sunday January 27, 2019We've been waiting for the pieces of our 2019 Winter Gold mini-package to come together, and it's now ready for release! There are 9 singing calls and a brand new patter for you. As with our other mini-packages, you can either purchase the full package for one price (in this case, $50), or individual titles for $10 each.
- RIV 1040 - Flowers In Your Hair (Vocal by ESP's Elmer Sheffield)
- RIV 1041 - T'Smidje (Separate male and female vocals by Hannah Tennenbaum and New-Beat's Nils Trottmann, )
- RIV 1042 - Kisses Sweeter Than Wine (Separate male and female vocals by Nelda Eaton and Blue Star's Ken Bower)
- RIV 1043 - Great Balls Of Fire (Separate male and female vocals by Dan Nordbye, Nelda Eaton)
- RIV 1044 - I'm Not Over You (Vocal by Isao Nakajima, Kumi Takahashi and Elite's Mitchell Osawa)
- RIV 1045 - Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes (Vocal and harmony by Brent Mawdsley)
- RIV 1046 - Just Pretend (Vocal by Brent Mawdsley)
- RIV 1047 - Lord Have Mercy On A Country Boy (Vocal by Hunter Keller)
- RIV 1048 - Downside Up (Patter)
- RIV 1049 - Boys Are Back In Town, The (Vocal by Linda Rawlinson)
The lyrics for T'Smidje are given in German, so be sure to study Nils' vocal for pronunciation!
Lots of great songs here -- be sure to check them out on our website's Packages page!
Posted on Thursday January 17, 2019Now that our webmaster has a working internet connection again, we can bring out our releases for January. There's a new song, two re-releases from the classic Red Boot library, and three new patters:
- RIV 891 - Blueberry Pie (Patter)
- RIV 890 - Heartland (Patter)
- RIV 889 - Promise (Patter)
- RIV 888 - Deep River Woman (Vocal and harmony by the "BC Boys" -- Ray Brendzy [courtesy Lou-Mac Records], Steve Edlund, Brent Mawdsley; formerly RBS 1306)
- RIV 887 - Ace In The Hole (Vocal by Dan Nordbye; formerly RBS 1326)
- RIV 886 - Hurricane (Vocal and harmony by Duke Okada, Kumi Takahashi)
In addition, the "BC Boys" (Ray, Steve and Brent) have done an alternate vocal and harmony track for RIV 560 - Goodnight Sweetheart. This includes an enhanced music track, with the key changed to the key of D. Anyone who's already purchased RIV 560 and would like the new tracks for free, please contact Bob Elling directly!
Posted on Thursday December 20, 2018We have a few releases coming out just before Christmas: 3 patters, two new singing calls, and a re-release from the classic Red Boot library...
- RIV 885 - Happy Birds (Patter)
- RIV 884 - Mountain Dew With Banjo (Patter)
- RIV 883 - Future Is Bright (Patter)
- RIV 882 - From A Jack To A King (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly RBS 1320)
- RIV 881 - It's A Great Day To Be Alive (Vocal by Gaku Nakagawa, Mitchell Osawa, Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Kumi)
- RIV 880 - Little Mountain Church House (Vocal by Mitchell Osawa, Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Kumi)
Not Christmas songs, but possibly good Christmas presents for your favorite caller!
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578