(as of 2022-01-19)
NOTE: RIV 1062 - Silent Night does not appear in its proper location in this listing because it had to be split up into several smaller downloads. It is currently by far the top download for the year 2019!
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Sunday October 31, 2021
It's been a couple of months since we've had any new music to post. (Although our 2019 Christmas Gold package became available as regular-priced singles in September - check it out!)
In any case, we've saved up a bit and we have 13 releases for you -- some brand new, including 3 patters, and some from the classic Red Boot library and the Riverboat archives:
- RIV 1169 - Footprints (Patter)
- RIV 1168 - Irish Eyes Smiling At Christmas (Vocal by Jack O'Leary of Silver Sounds Music)
- RIV 1167 - Touch Of Ireland (Patter)
- RIV 1166 - Turn Turn Turn Patter
- RIV 1165 - Don't Be Angry (Basic, Mainstream, Plus and A1 vocals by Mel Wilkerson; formerly RIV 103)
- RIV 1164 - Fly Away (Vocal by David Cox; formerly RB 3060)
- RIV 1163 - Blue Heartache (Vocal by David Cox; formerly RB 250)
- RIV 1162 - We Can Sing (Vocal by Ted Kennedy; formerly RBS 1309)
- RIV 1161 - All I Want For Christmas (Is My Two Front Teeth) (Vocal by Ko Iwata)
- RIV 1160 - Sailing (Vocal and harmony by Duke Okada; Japanese vocal and harmony by Kumi Takahashi)
- RIV 1159 - Down In Louisiana (Vocal by Mitchell Osawa (of Elite Records) and Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Kumi)
- RIV 1158 - Cajun Party Time (Vocal by Noriko Shinogaya, Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Kumi)
- RIV 1157 - Ghost Of Danny Boy (Vocal by Duke Okada)
If the only version of "All I Want For Christmas" you've heard is the whistling Spike Jones version, give this one a listen -- it's based on the gentle swing of Nat King Cole's recording. And with three Irish-themed tunes, you can stock up for March...even though one of them is a Christmas song! Take a look at all of them, including the haunting "Ghost Of Danny Boy" that we're posting right on Halloween!
There's also a new female vocal by Nelda Eaton on RIV 557 - Summer Sounds. But, wait — there's already a female vocal by Nelda! Well, this is a female vocal for Christmas Sounds, the winter lyrics for Summer Sounds. Check out the "E" version -- and as always, if you've already bought the title and want the new track, contact Bob Elling directly.
Posted on Thursday July 08, 2021
Between the National Square Dance Convention and a few other events, what should have been our June releases got pushed back to July. We have eight songs this time around, two of which are new patters, and one is a re-release from the Jay-Bar-Kay side of the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 1156 - Baby Baby (Vocal by Mitchell Osawa of Elite Records, and Kumi Takahashi)
- RIV 1155 - Part Of Your World (Vocal by Gaku Nakagawa and Kumi Takahashi)
- RIV 1154 - Country Folk (Patter)
- RIV 1153 - Waikiki Beach (Patter)
- RIV 1151 - Tuam Beat (Vocal by Duke Okada)
- RIV 1150 - I'm An Old Fashioned Girl (Vocal by Hiromi Kaneko and Kuniko Kawashima)
- RIV 1149 - Trucking Queen (Vocal by Max Masao Ringer and Noriko Shinogaya)
- RIV 1148 - Nothing Could Be Finer (Vocal by Nelda Eaton; formerly JBK 113)
"Nothing Could Be Finer" is a little unusual. It was originally recorded at a time when the 7 x 64-beat singing call structure was not as near-universal as it is today. Like classics such as the original "Running Bear," "Pickle Up A Doodle" and "Grand Colonel Spin," it was made for a 128-beat figure done four times. Nelda has reproduced the original figure almost exactly here, but you could also treat it as an 8 x 64-beat piece and use more standard choreography by throwing in an extra middle break. But, why? There's charm in the original!
Also, at the end of June the 12 titles in our 2019 Summer Gold package joined the main catalog as regular-price singles. Check them out!
Posted on Sunday May 23, 2021
We're passing through May and heading toward June. Next month will bring with it the National Square Dance Convention in Jackson, MS. Will you be there? Some of us will, and we'd love to see you!
We have seven releases this month, two from the classic Red Boot library and one from the pre-Internet days of Riverboat Records:
- RIV 1147 - Pineville (Patter) (Includes a vocal and cuesheet with Plus choreo)
- RIV 1146 - Hank Williams Medley (Two SSD vocals by Mel Wilkerson; formerly RIV 210)
- RIV 1145 - Ding Dong Sing My Song (Vocal and harmony by Gaku Nakagawa and Kaz Tsujimura)
- RIV 1144 - Just A Little Lovin' (Vocal by Ted Kennedy; formerly RBS 1323)
- RIV 1143 - I Saw The Light (Basic, MS, Plus and A1 vocals by Mel Wilkerson; formerly GS 703)
- RIV 1142 - We're Here To Stay (Vocal by Mitchell Osawa and Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Kumi)
- RIV 1141 - Girl Like You, A (Vocal and harmony by Kaneko Jr.)
We also have a female vocal for RIV 557 - Summer Sounds by Nelda Eaton, and one for RIV 1074 - Color My World by Australia's Elaine Davis. Plus, a typo (2022 instead of 2021) caused RIV 1136 - If Bubba Can Dance (vocal by Jason Raleigh, formerly RB 3040) to be omitted from last month's listing.
Hope your Memorial Day Weekend is a pleasant one!
Posted on Thursday April 22, 2021
April is here, and we're starting to see some signs of life. The Pear Blossom Festival just took place in Roseburg, Oregon. California's governor is proposing to "open" the state in June, but it isn't yet completely clear what that will entail.
In the meantime, we have seven releases for you, including two new singing calls with vocals from our Japanese friends:
- RIV 1140 - A Few Dreams To Go (Patter) (SSD vocal by Sam Dunn)
- RIV 1139 - Down Yonder (Patter) (Plus vocal by Ted Kennedy; formerly RB 302B))
- RIV 1138 - Something To Talk About (Vocal by David Cox; formerly RB 3049)
- RIV 1137 - Live And Love Again (Basic, Mainstream, Plus and A1 vocals by Mel Wilkerson; formerly RIV 122)
- RIV 1135 - Husband And Wife (Vocal by Max Masao Ringe)
- RIV 1134 - Promised Land (Vocal by Duke Okada, Kumi Takahashi, and Elite Records' Mitchell Osawa)
In addition, Ted Kennedy has supplied SSD and Advanced vocals for last month's patter release, RIV 1130 - Chicken & Dumplings. Jason Raleigh has contributed an alternate vocal for our 2014 release, RIV 376 - Waltz Across Texas. Finally, Nelda Eaton has contributed a female vocal (with music in key D) for RIV 849 - Baby I'm Burning.
Making plans to attend the National Square Dance Convention in Jackson, MS this June? Several of our staff and featured callers are planning to be there -- look them up!
Posted on Monday March 29, 2021
We still have a couple of days left in March, and we're squeezing our March releases out just before we become April fools! We have two new patters for you, and three re-releases from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 1133 - Crazy Arms (Vocal by Ted Kennedy; formerly RBS 1317)
- RIV 1132 - I Wonder Where You Are Tonight (Vocal by Jason Raleigh; formerly RB 191)
- RIV 1131 - Cajun Drums (Patter) (Vocal by Ted Kennedy)
- RIV 1130 - Chicken and Dumplings (Patter)
- RIV 1129 - Good Hearted Woman (Vocal by Mel Wilkerson; formerly RB 260)
"Good Hearted Woman" was slated to be one of last month's releases, but a problem with the music discovered at the last minute led to it being postponed...as it turned out, by a full month.
The new patter "Cajun Drums" features two vocals by Ted Kennedy -- one with Plus choreography, and one using only the 50 calls on the SSD (Social Square Dancing) program championed so staunchly by the late Jerry Story.
Hope to see you soon!
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578