(as of 2017-12-13)
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Tuesday December 12, 2017Because Christmas is coming, we're bringing out our January releases a little early. We know you'll be too involved with the festivities if we wait too long!
We have three new patters this month, and several tunes from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 812 - Running Bear (Vocal by Ken Burke, formerly RB 3043)
- RIV 811 - Shine On Harvest Moon (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone, formerly RB 3028)
- RIV 810 - Faster Horses (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, and includes a track with background vocals on the taglines; formerly RB 207)
- RIV 809 - Jefferson Airplane Patter
- RIV 808 - Jump Down Patter
- RIV 807 - Dandiya Patter
- RIV 806 - Tight Fittin Jeans (Original Red Boot vocal by Elmer Sheffield; formerly RBS 1263)
- RIV 804 - Old Country Church, The (Vocal by Max Masao Ringe, Keita Takahata, Mitchell Osawa, Kumi Takahashi; includes harmony track)
Please accept our best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and for whatever other holidays you might celebrate in this season!
Posted on Friday November 17, 2017This month, we have the last few titles from last year's Gold package making their debuts as singles. Plus, we have three new patters and seven — count 'em, seven — singing calls from the classic Red Boot library!
- RIV 692 - Come On Down To My Boat Baby (Vocal by Darryl Lipscomb with harmony by Curt Braffet)
- RIV 694 - The Last Thing on My Mind (Vocal by Max Masao Ringe, Duke Okada, Kumi Takahashi; includes harmony track and Japanese vocal/harmony)
- RIV 695 - It Rains Everywhere I Go (Vocal by Kumi Takahashi and Elite's Mitchell Osawa, with harmony by Kumi)
- RIV 696 - Monday Morning Secretary (Vocal by Elmer Sheffield)
- RIV 699 - Cry Cry Cry (Vocal by Jerry Galbreath)
- RIV 789 - Mighty Mouse (Patter)
- RIV 790 - Random Thoughts (Patter)
- RIV 805 - Queen Of The Dance (Patter)
- RIV 788 - Night Train To Memphis (Formerly RB 173) (Vocal by Max Masao Ringe, Kiyomi Taneyama, Isao Nakagawa with harmony by Kiyomi and Isao)
- RIV 797 - Prisoner Of The Highway (Formerly RBS 1276) (Vocal by Max Masao Ringe)
- RIV 798 - Louise (Formerly RB 227) (Vocal by Hiromi Kaneko on a Maurice Chevelier classic)
- RIV 799 - Smokey Mountain Smoke (Formerly RB 221) (Vocal by Kuniko Kawashima)
- RIV 800 - Buckets (Formerly RBS 1243) (Vocal by Kumi Takahashi)
- RIV 801 - Thank You World (Formerly RB 169) (Vocal by Elite's Mitchell Osawa, with harmony by Kumi Takahashi)
- RIV 802 - Rock And Roll I Gave You The Best (Formerly RB 187) (Original Red Boot vocal by Elmer Sheffield)
Be sure to check out our 2017 Christmas mini-package, with 3 patters and 3 singing calls. See the "Packages" page on the Riverboat website! And, as always, be sure to visit our friends at ESP and Silver Sounds!
Posted on Wednesday November 01, 2017To recognize the recent passing of legend Fats Domino, Riverboat is re-releasing the Red Boot version of one of his most recognizable hits:
- RIV 803 - Blueberry Hill (vocal by Lawrence Johnstone, formerly RB 2998)
Posted on Thursday October 19, 2017Our November releases include three songs from the classic Red Boot library, and three new patters:
- RIV 796 - Office Girl (Patter)
- RIV 795 - Hardwood Dance Floor (Patter)
- RIV 794 - Paddlewheel Polka (Patter)
- RIV 793 - Do You Know You Are My Sunshine (Vocal by Duke Okada, Kumi Takahashi, Mitchell Osawa; formerly RB 236)
- RIV 792 - Good Morning Country Rain (Vocal by Ken Packer; formerly RB 136)
- RIV 791 - On The Road To Loving Me Again (Vocal by Keita Takahashi; formerly RB 1254)
We've also added some Christmas-themed alternate vocals to a couple of our previous releases. As always, if you've already purchased the title and would like the new vocal, contact Bob Elling.
RIV 762 - Mr. Sandman, part of the 2018 Gold Package, has a "Mr. Santa" vocal by Silver Sounds Music's Jack O'Leary. It also has an instrumental track enhanced with sleigh bells and other Christmas sounds.
RIV 557 - Summer Sounds now has a "Christmas Sounds" vocal by Lawrence Johnstone. There's an extra track enhanced with bell sound effects and hints of other Christmas songs; this is included as a split track with the main music on the left channel and the enhancements on the right channel so that you can dial them in and out as you wish.
Don't forget to look at our Christmas Mini-Package of 6 songs as well. We released that at the beginning of the month.
Posted on Tuesday October 03, 2017Riverboat is trying a new concept. Instead of releasing one large music package each year (with a large price), we're going to try releasing several smaller packages (with smaller prices) at various times throughout the year. Some may be seasonally-themed, as our first one is. We're calling these "mini-packages," and you'll notice on the website that our "Gold" page has been renamed to "Packages" to better describe what's on there.
We're starting this month with our Christmas 2017 package of six songs (3 patters and 3 singing calls) for $30. As with the 2018 Gold package that we released about a month ago, you can buy single titles from the package for $10 apiece, or the full set of six for $30. The songs in the package are:
- RIV 781 - Deck The Halls Patter
An arrangement with a Mannheim Steamroller feel
- RIV 782 - Christmas In My Heart Patter
- RIV 783 - Drums of Christmas (Patter)
- RIV 784 - Deck The Halls
Vocal by Kaneko Jr. in English, Nils Trottmann in German, Keita Takahata in Japanese, and Christer Bern and Hanna Tenenbaum in Swedish
- RIV 785 - Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
Vocal by Koji Harai in English, Nils Trottmann in German, Hiromi Kaneko and Kuniko Kawashima in Japanese, and Christer Bern and Hanna Tenenbaum in Swedish
- RIV 786 - We Wish You A Merry Christmas
Vocal by Tac Ozaki and Mitchell Osawa (Elite Records) in English, Nils Trottmann in German, Kumi Takahashi in Japanese (with harmony), and Christer Bern and Hanna Tenenbaum in Swedish.
Each singing call includes international vocals (and cuesheets) for our overseas friends. Check them out on our Packages page!
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578