(as of 2021-04-11)
NOTE: RIV 1062 - Silent Night does not appear in its proper location in this listing because it had to be split up into several smaller downloads. It is currently by far the top download for the year 2019!
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Monday March 29, 2021
We still have a couple of days left in March, and we're squeezing our March releases out just before we become April fools! We have two new patters for you, and three re-releases from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 1133 - Crazy Arms (Vocal by Ted Kennedy; formerly RBS 1317)
- RIV 1132 - I Wonder Where You Are Tonight (Vocal by Jason Raleigh; formerly RB 191)
- RIV 1131 - Cajun Drums (Patter) (Vocal by Ted Kennedy)
- RIV 1130 - Chicken and Dumplings (Patter)
- RIV 1129 - Good Hearted Woman (Vocal by Mel Wilkerson; formerly RB 260)
"Good Hearted Woman" was slated to be one of last month's releases, but a problem with the music discovered at the last minute led to it being postponed...as it turned out, by a full month.
The new patter "Cajun Drums" features two vocals by Ted Kennedy -- one with Plus choreography, and one using only the 50 calls on the SSD (Social Square Dancing) program championed so staunchly by the late Jerry Story.
Hope to see you soon!
Posted on Sunday February 21, 2021
February is here -- the month of Edison's, Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays, Valentine's day, the Columbia and Maine disasters, and John Glenn's first orbit.We have a couple of new patters for you, and four re-releases from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 1129 - Good Hearted Woman (Vocal by Mel Wilkerson;
formerly RB 260)
NOTE: Pulled temporarily while we deal with an issue in the recording
- RIV 1128 - Look At Us (Vocal by Ted Kennedy; formerly RB 3074)
- RIV 1127 - If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body (Vocal by Barry Wonson; formerly RBS 1249)
- RIV 1126 - You Decorated My Life (Vocal by Jack O'Leary from Silver Sounds Music; formerly RB 247)
- RIV 1125 - Are You Ready (Patter) (Vocal by Mel Wilkerson)
- RIV 1123 - Just Pickin (Patter) (Vocal by Ted Kennedy)
We're welcoming Mel Wilkerson and Barry Wonson to Riverboat. Anyone who receives the "Behind The Mike" caller note service from Australia will recognize both names immediately.
Ready for March to come in like a lion this year and start us on the road to recovery!
Posted on Wednesday January 27, 2021
It's almost February, but we're just now getting our January releases out on the website. We have a bunch of re-releases from the classic Red Boot library (including three patters), and three new singing calls...
- RIV 1122 - Let It Be You (Vocal and harmony by Duke Okada and Kumi Takahashi)
- RIV 1121 - Be Our Guest (Vocal and harmony by Gaku Nakagaya and Kumi Takahashi)
- RIV 1120 - No Doubt About it (Vocal by Kumi Takahashi and Elite Records' Mitchell Osawa, with harmony by Kumi)
- RIV 1119 - Sam's Patter (Vocal by Sam Dunn)
- RIV 1118 - Yakety Sax (Patter) (Formerly RB 901)
- RIV 1117 - Guitar Rag (Patter)
- RIV 1116 - If I Give My Heart To You (Vocal by Mel Wilkerson; Formerly RB 2996)
- RIV 1115 - Do You Remember These (Vocal by Jack O'Leary; Formerly RB 131)
Be sure and listen to "Be Our Guest" -- Gaku and Kumi did a bang-up job on it, with Kumi taking Mrs. Potts' part on the break.
Our 2019 Winter Gold package has also now been released as regular-cost singles.This includes songs such as "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine," "Great Balls Of Fire," "Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes," and "The Boys Are Back In Town."
Check them all out -- and see you next month!
Posted on Thursday December 24, 2020
This is a bit late coming out, but we finally have our December releases up on the Riverboat website on Christmas Eve itself!
- RIV 1114 - Living With The Shades Pulled Down (Vocal by Ted Kennedy, formerly RB 199)
- RIV 1113 - You Are The One (Vocals by Nelda Eaton and Silver Sounds' Jack O'Leary, with a harmony track by Jack; formerly JBK 132)
- RIV 1112 - On The Other Hand (Vocals by Ted Kennedy and Nelda Eaton, with a harmony track by Sam Dunn; formerly RB 3011)
- RIV 1111 - Never Ending Song Of Love (Vocal by Sam Dunn)
- RIV 1110 - Sweetheart (Patter)
- RIV 1109 - Happy Times (Patter) (Vocals by Dave Eno with SSD and 2-couple A2, C1 and C2 choreo, and by Sam Dunn with Plus choreo)
- RIV 1108 - Beethoven's 9th (Patter) (Vocal with SSD choreo by Dave Eno)
- RIV 1107 - Square Dance Town (Vocal by Kumi Takahashi and Mitchell Osawa)
- RIV 1106 - Eighteen Wheels And A Dozen Roses (Vocal by Tac Ozaki, Ko Iwata and Elite Records' Mitchell Osawa)
Here's wishing all of you a wonderful holiday season! Hope to see you in the coming year!
Posted on Friday November 20, 2020
The month of November here in California has brought a tightening of restrictions on our activities, and news of the cancellation of next year's CALLERLAB convention. But we're remaining optimistic, and introducing two new singing calls and three patters:
- RIV 1105 - Dandelion (Patter)
- RIV 1104 - High Winds (Patter)
- RIV 1103 - Quicksand (Patter)
- RIV 1102 - Kick Up Your Heels (Vocal by Duke Okada, Mitchell Osawa and Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Duke and Kumi)
- RIV 1101 - Under The Moon Of Love (Vocal and harmony by Duke Okada)
In addition, Krista Baird has contributed a female vocal for RIV 635 - Downtown. While Krista used the same key (Eb) as the original, we're also including a new track of lower-key (C) music. As always, if you already purchased the title and want the new tracks, contact Bob.
You may also notice a few more new releases since last month. We've introduced our 2020 Autumn Gold package with 15 titles, but also the 7 titles in our 2018 Christmas package have become available as regular-priced singles, including O Holy Night, Country Christmas, At Christmas, Silver Bells, and three patters.
Have a great Thanksgiving — and please remember, only wild turkeys can fly!
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578