(as of 2019-07-21)
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Thursday July 11, 2019For July, we have three new patters, two new singing calls (including one from a classic Broadway and motion picture musical), and a re-release from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 921 - Alabama (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly RB 255)
- RIV 920 - There Is A Season (Patter)
- RIV 919 - Tuba Time (Patter)
- RIV 918 - End Of Summer (Patter)
- RIV 917 - Would You Go With Me (Vocal by Kaneko Jr.)
- RIV 915 - I Could Have Danced All Night (Vocal by Gaku Nakagawa, Hiromi Kaneko, Kuniko Kawashima)
I Could Have Danced All Night (of course, from the classic musical My Fair Lady, sung on the stage by Julie Andrews) includes a harmony track. If you ever want to do a Julie Andrews theme night, this would be a good one, as would RIV 420 - Doe Rae Me, RIV 425 - Mary Poppins Theme, RIV 510 - Lonely Goatherd, and RIV 514 - Favorite Things.
Posted on Friday June 14, 2019Our newest mini-package is now ready for release. 12 songs, all singing calls, with a wide range of styles. Several of them include female versions in a separate key, and three offer optional harmony tracks:
- RIV 1050 - Story Book Love (The theme from A Princess Bride, with vocal and harmony by Brent Mawdsley)
- RIV 1051 - Skinny Dipping (Vocal by Dan Nordbye)
- RIV 1052 - Hills Of Donegal (Vocal by Jack O'Leary in key F, with a female version by Nelda Eaton in key G)
- RIV 1053 - Pirogue Joe (Vocal by Dan Nordbye)
- RIV 1054 - Say You Love Me (Vocal and harmony by Kip Garvey in key F, with a female version by Carol Hilliard (Reardon) in key C)
- RIV 1055 - Barking At The Moon (Vocal by Joe Saltel, from the Disney movie "Bolt")
- RIV 1056 - Do You Believe In Love (Vocal and harmony in key F by the BC Boys (Steve Edlund, Brent Mawdsley and Ray Brendzy [courtesy of Lou-Mac Records], with a female version by Krista Baird in key C)
- RIV 1057 - Raggle Taggle Gypsy (Vocal by Jack O'Leary in key A, with a female version by Nelda Eaton in key Eb)
- RIV 1058 - Sentimental Journey (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone, with a female version by Linda Rawlinson in key E)
- RIV 1059 - Kiss Me Goodnight Sergeant Major (Vocal by Bob Farnell)
- RIV 1060 - Summer Place (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone in key Ab, with a female version by Nelda Eaton in key C)
- RIV 1061 - It's Friday (Vocal by Jack O'Leary, courtesy of Silver Sounds Music)
You can buy the package of all 12 songs for $60, or individual titles for $10 each, on our Packages page at www.riverboat.com/records/packages.php -- check out the sample clips there!
Posted on Thursday May 23, 2019We almost managed to let May slip by without any releases. Almost, but not quite: we have three new patters, and a song from the classic Red Boot library, plus a new female vocal...
- RIV 914 - About Time (Patter)
- RIV 913 - Pickin' Peaches (Patter)
- RIV 912 - After Shock (Patter)
- RIV 910 - Shortnin' Bread (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly RB 257)
We also have a new female vocal by Krista Baird for RIV 525 - Cups (from "Pitch Perfect"), in the key of B. This also includes an instrumental track in that key. As always, if you've already bought RIV 525 and would like the new tracks, contact Bob Elling directly.
We've now substituted the proper RIV 911 release for the one that we accidentally re-re-released! It's still a re-release from the classic Red Boot library, originally heard in the musical Damn Yankees:
- RIV 911 - You've Gotta Have Heart (vocal by Lawrence Johnstone)
We've also added two more female vocals to patriotic songs, in time to practice for the 4th of July. These also include a copy of the instrumental pitched in the same key used for the vocal:
- RIV 542 - God Bless The USA (new vocal by Nelda Eaton)
- RIV 847 - God Bless America (new vocal by Nelda Eaton)
Also, Krista Baird has contributed an alternate vocal for RIV 560 - Goodnight Sweetheart.
As always, if you've already purchased any of these Riverboat releases and would like the new tracks, contact Bob Elling directly.
Posted on Saturday April 06, 2019With the CALLERLAB convention right around the corner, we're bringing out our April releases at the start of the month: a new singing call, a Red Boot re-release, and three new patters...
- RIV 904 - Talk Is Cheap (vocal by Isao Nakajima, Kumi Takahashi and Elite's Mitchell Osawa, with harmony by Kumi)
- RIV 905 - Secret Love (female vocal by Linda Rawlinson; the male vocal by Brent Mawdsley wasn't ready at time of release but will be coming)
- RIV 906 - Night In The City (Patter)
- RIV 907 - The Winner (Patter)
- RIV 908 - Snicker Doodle (Patter)
In addition, RIV 445 - Love In The Country is getting a new female version in key C (both instrumental and vocal) by Linda Rawlinson. Contact Bob Elling directly if you've already purchased RIV 445 and would like the new tracks.
Posted on Thursday March 21, 2019Our March releases include three new patters and three singing calls, two of which are from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 903 - Beyond The Border (Patter)
- RIV 902 - Jogger, The (Patter)
- RIV 901 - Quiet Place, A (Patter)
- RIV 900 - Dance The Two Step (Vocal by ESP's Elmer Sheffield, formerly RBS 1259)
- RIV 899 - Ain't Love A Good Thing (Vocal by ESP's Elmer Sheffield, formerly RB 163)
- RIV 898 - Looking Out My Back Door (Vocal by Noriko Shinogaya, Kumi Takahashi and Elite Records' Mitchell Osawa, with harmony by Kumi)
Take a moment to listen to "Ain't Love A Good Thing" — this isn't just a re-release of an old Red Boot tune. The rhythm track has been enhanced, and it really snaps!
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578