(as of 2017-07-22)
|All Time||Last 12 Months||Last 30 Days|
Posted on Tuesday July 18, 2017We have three songs from the 2017 Gold Package making their single debuts, plus three new patters and three songs from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 676 - Matthew (vocal by Royal's Joe Saltel)
- RIV 678 - Bang A Drum (vocal by Royal's Joe Saltel)
- RIV 679 - Volcano (vocal by ESP's late Tim Marriner)
- RIV 737 - Lady Bugs (Patter)
- RIV 738 - New Beginnings (Patter)
- RIV 739 - Classy (Patter)
- RIV 740 - Shut Up And Fish (vocal by Michael Kelly, from a song by Maddie & Tae)
- RIV 741 - I'll Do It All Over Again (vocal by Elite's Mitchell Osawa and Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Kumi, fomerly RBS 1293)
- RIV 742 - Hallelujah I'm Ready To Go (vocal by Koji Harai, Ko Iwata and Elite's Mitchell Osawa, with harmony by Kumi Takahashi, formerly RB 3080)
- RIV 743 - Natural High (vocal and harmony by Kaz Tsuzimura, formerly RBS 1248)
Volcano was Tim Marriner's last song for Riverboat. (He also did Goodnight Sweetheart, Pink Cadillac and Elmer's Tune.) Tim was well-known for the vocal effects he could produce, and this release includes a track featuring music with Tim's special effects on the figures, so that you can perform along with Tim.
You can find a video of Joe Saltel calling Matthew at the 2016 National Square Dance Convention in Des Moines, IA on our Facebook Videos page.
Posted on Thursday June 15, 2017With the National Square Dance Convention coming up next week, we're releasing four titles from the 2017 Gold Package as singles, plus two new patters, a new singing call, and five titles from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 672 - Old Lamp Lighter (vocal by Ken Bower and ESP's Elmer Sheffield)
- RIV 674 - Bombshell Stomp (vocal by ESP's Darryl Lipscomb)
- RIV 675 - Dancing Queen (vocal by Kaneko Jr., with a Japanese vocal by Hiromi Kaneko and Kuniko Kawashima, and harmony by Hiromi and Kuniko)
- RIV 698 - Bad Romance (vocal by Hanna Tenenbaum)
- RIV 735 - Low Rider
- RIV 736 - Big Ball In Boston
Other new releases and re-releases:
- RIV 664 - I've Got Mexico (vocal by Bob Farnell; formerly RB 2994)
- RIV 700 - Four Walls (vocal by ESP's Bill Harrison; formerly RBS 1296)
- RIV 701 - Girl With Gardenias In Her Hair (vocal by ESP's Tom Miller; formerly RB 903)
- RIV 730 - Hot Hot Hot (vocal by Hiroshi Nakagawa; formerly EM [English Mountain] 100)
- RIV 731 - I'm Ready If You're Willing (vocal by Tom Crisp; new music, not a re-release)
- RIV 733 - Wabash Cannonball (vocal by Silver Sounds' Jack O'Leary; formerly RBS 1277)
RIV 698 - Bad Romance is a singing call based on a Lady Gaga song, but it also makes a great patter!
Posted on Tuesday May 16, 2017As we come up on June, we're releasing a new singing call, a new patter, a singing call from the classic Red Boot library, and several songs from the 2017 Gold package:
- RIV 661 - Come And Get Your Love (vocal by Kaz Tsujimura)
- RIV 662 - Downtown Patter
- RIV 663 - Moonlight Bay (formerly RBS 1330, new vocal by Lawrence Johnstone)
The Gold package songs making their debut as singles this month:
- RIV 670 - Get On My Love Train (vocal by ESP's Elmer Sheffield)
- RIV 671 - Hello My Baby (vocal by Hide Takahashi and Naomi Tomosada)
- RIV 673 - Mary Ann Regrets (vocal by Rhythm's Gary Shoemake)
- RIV 677 - Geisha Girl (vocal by Royal's Joe Saltel)
- RIV 688 - Skillet Lickin (Patter)
- RIV 689 - Hawk Mountain (Patter)
Last month, we released a new version of "Seven Spanish Angels" as RIV 660. Many people were familiar with the version originally released on Red Boot Star (RBS 1283), but the Riverboat version has a much less hurried feel. (Not to mention Dan Nordbye's great vocal!) To show the contrast, Bob is now including the original Red Boot Star music as an "A" (alternative) track with RIV 660, and is in the process of sending that track out to everyone who bought RIV 660 in the past month.
Posted on Tuesday April 18, 2017As May approaches, we're not only releasing a remake of a Red Boot song (and re-releasing another Red Boot), but we're also starting to release some of the songs from our 2017 Gold Package.
- RIV 659 - All I'm Missing Is You (vocal by Kaz Tisjumura, formerly RBS 1268)
- RIV 660 - Seven Spanish Angels (vocal by Dan Nordbye)
Note that RIV 660 is NOT just a re-release of RBS 1283. It's a remake, with a much less rushed feel to it. Check it out!
The following songs are being released as singles out of the 2017 Gold package:
- RIV 686 - Old Joe Clark (Patter)
- RIV 687 - Cajun Patter
- RIV 690 - Something Special (Patter)
- RIV 691 - Amarillo (alternate vocal by Lawrence Johnstone)
- RIV 697 - Somebody To Love (vocal by Royal's Patty Greene)
RIV 691 is not "Amarillo By Morning" -- it's Tony Christie's "(Is This The Way To) Amarillo." Bob Baier was selected to do the vocal, but he hasn't been able to record for a while so Lawrence was asked to do an alternate vocal. Take a listen to the music -- it has the potential to be a show-stopper!
We've just added a background vocal track (with the vocals on a split track so you can fade them in and out) to RIV 426 - Lion Sleeps Tonight. It'll be included with all new purchases -- and, as always, if you've already purchased RIV 426 and would like the new track, just contact Bob Elling and it's free to you.
We've added an additional music track, brightening some of the lead instruments and adding a modulation on the closer, for RIV 524 - You Raise Me Up. Wade Driver has already complimented it on Facebook! As above, if you've already purchased RIV 524, you can get the new track from Bob at no additional cost.
Posted on Tuesday March 21, 2017Our April releases include three new patters and four re-releases from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 656 - Funky City
- RIV 657 - Pool Shark
- RIV 658 - Everybody Romp
- RIV 726 - Surround Me With Love (vocal and harmony by Duke Okada)
- RIV 727 - Houston (vocal by Duke Okada, harmony by Kumi Takahashi -- this is the Gatlin Brothers song, not the one by Dean Martin)
- RIV 728 - Day O (English and Japanese vocals by Hiromi Kaneko and Kuniko Kawashima)
- RIV 732 - Lay Down Beside Me (vocal and harmony by KazTsujimura
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578