(as of 2020-07-11)
NOTE: RIV 1062 - Silent Night does not appear in its proper location in this listing because it had to be split up into several smaller downloads. It is currently by far the top download for the year 2019!
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Tuesday June 09, 2020We have a few releases for you this month at our website, www.riverboat.com/records/allmp3.php -- two new patters, and two re-releases from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 969 - Don't Get Around Much Any More (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone; formerly RB 3076)
- RIV 968 - Bobby Socks (Patter)
- RIV 967 - Lads and Lassies (Patter)
- RIV 966 - Smokey Mountain Breakdown (Patter; Formerly RB 303)
In addition, Brent Mawdsley has provided the vocal for the male version of last month's release RIV 964 - Annie's Song. Plus, Linda Rawlinson has contributed a female vocal (with re-keyed instrumental) for RIV 343 - So Long Red River Valley.
You can listen to samples and/or purchase at our website. The newest releases are always at the top of the listing (including package titles that have been recently released from package, as with the 2018 Summer Gold package that un-bundled last month).
Posted on Sunday May 17, 2020They say that April showers bring May flowers -- but around here, we only had about 1/2 inch of rainfall in April, and getting out to see the flowers is problematic. So we're bring you five releases this month: three new patters, plus a song from the classic Red Boot library. Plus, Bubba Mingus is bringing his "I Am Music" collection over to Riverboat, with the first one releasing this month:
- RIV 965 - You Make My Pants Want To Get Up And Dance (Vocal by Bubba Mingus; formerly IAM 002)
- RIV 964 - Annie's Song (Vocal by Heather Reynolds)
- RIV 963 - Sweet Dreams (Patter)
- RIV 962 - Rose Of Summer (Patter)
- RIV 961 - New Beginnings (Patter)
Annie's Song is, of course, the late John Denver's ode to his wife. And Disney fans will immediately recognize the song behind New Beginnings.
We also have a female vocal added to one of our prior releases. Nelda Eaton has added her rendition to RIV 929 - Taste Of The Wind, with accompanying instrumental rekeyed to D. As always, if you've already purchased that title and would like the new tracks, contact Bob Elling directly.
Hoping that all of you are weathering the current difficulties, and looking forward to a return to living and calling in the near future!
Posted on Friday April 10, 2020In spite of the trying times in which we find ourselves today (or, possibly, to distract us from them), we are making a few new releases in the month of April, and are also adding a couple of female versions of songs already in our catalog:
- RIV 960 - Born To Run (Vocal by Duke Okada and Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Kumi)
- RIV 959 - Latin Party (Patter)
- RIV 958 - Catfish (Patter)
- RIV 957 - Caribbean Vacation (Patter)
Born To Run isn't the Bruce Springsteen song; rather, it's a song introduced by Emmylou Harris and later done by Jessie Buckley in the movie "Wild Rose."
We also have a new female vocal for RIV 238 - White Lightning, done by Nelda Eaton, as well as a female version (in key F) for RIV 871 - This Is Me (the song from the movie "The Greatest Showman"), done by Krista Baird.
We hope you are all weathering this situation without serious strains. Purchasing music may not be an essential activity, but we're presenting these releases in the hope that it might help to break the monotony of sheltering at home and perhaps make things a bit more enjoyable!
Posted on Friday February 21, 2020In the wake of our 2020 Winter Gold package, we have four new releases for February (a singing call and three patters), plus new female versions for 4 other songs already in our catalog. The new stuff first:
- RIV 956 - Romance (Patter)
- RIV 955 - Big Dipper (Patter)
- RIV 954 - High Winds (Patter)
- RIV 952 - Prove You Wrong (Vocal by Mitchell Osawa from Elite Records, accompanied by [and with harmony by] Kumi Takahashi)
The new rekeyed female versions added to the catalog: (as always, if you've already purchased any of these and want the new tracks, contact Bob)
- RIV 261 - Mas Fina (New female version with vocal by Nelda Eaton)
- RIV 291 - Pickle Up A Doodle (New female version with vocal by Linda Rawlinson)
- RIV 348 - Born This Way (New female version with vocal by Krista Baird)
- RIV 446 - Matamoras (New female version with vocal by Nelda Eaton)
All of these are now available on our website. www.riverboat.com/records -- to find the songs with new female versions, just use the song search function.
Posted on Thursday January 23, 2020Our newest package (it's not really a "mini" package, because there are 17 songs in it this time) is now available: 2020 Winter Gold. You'll find 16 singing calls and 1 patter, all for the price of $85 or $10 for each individual song. Several are available in both male and female keys...
- RIV 1068 - Best Part Of The Day (Vocal by Dan Nordbye)
- RIV 1069 - Love Is A Wonderful Thing (Vocals by Tony Oxendine of Royal Records, and Carol Hilliard (Reardon))
- RIV 1070 - Guitars And Tiki Bars (Vocal by Ken Bower)
- RIV 1071 - Galway Girl (Vocal by Jack O'Leary of Silver Sounds Music)
- RIV 1072 - I Can Make It (Vocal and harmony by Brent Mawdsley)
- RIV 1073 - Temple Bar (Vocal by Dan Nordbye)
- RIV 1074 - Color My World (Vocal by Dan Nordbye)
- RIV 1075 - Shakin' (Vocal by Tony Oxendine of Royal Records)
- RIV 1076 - Hold On To Your Hat (Vocal by Jack O'Leary of Silver Sounds Music)
- RIV 1077 - Kiss Me (Vocal by Steve Edlund)
- RIV 1078 - Irish Pub (Vocals by Jack O'Leary of Silver Sounds Music, and Nelda Eaton)
- RIV 1079 - Dream Lover (Vocal by Linda and Ralph Rawlinson)
- RIV 1080 - Pleasure Has Been Mine (Vocal by Elmer Sheffield of ESP Recordings, and Nelda Eaton)
- RIV 1081 - Key Lime Pie (Vocal by Jack O'Leary of Silver Sounds Music)
- RIV 1082 - Hottest Thing In Town (Vocal by Dan Nordbye)
- RIV 1083 - Put On A Happy Face (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone)
- RIV 1084 - Robbie's Reel (Patter)
This list includes songs originally done by Kenny Chesney, Bobby Darin, Sawyer Brown, Michael Bolton and Dick Van Dyke, among others — a variety of styles and energy levels, and lots of fun in the making. There are several Irish songs for the upcoming St. Patrick's Day celebrations, too! Check them out and add them to your repertoire!
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578