(as of 2018-03-24)
|All Time||Last 12 Months||Last 30 Days|
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Friday March 23, 2018Here come our April releases: 5 singing calls (mostly from the classic Red Boot library, but one is a Riverboat tune from pre-website days), and 3 new patters!
- RIV 830 - Just Can't Wait (Patter)
- RIV 829 - Calendar Girl (Patter)
- RIV 828 - Together We Dance (Patter)
- RIV 827 - You'll Never Know (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone; formerly RBS 1295)
- RIV 826 - We've Got The Music (Vocal by Ken Burke)
- RIV 825 - Tonight Carmen's Coming Back Home (Vocal by Scott Smith; formerly FW 507)
- RIV 824 - Dumas Walker (Vocal by Dan Nordbye; Harmony by Carol Hilliard (Reardon); formerly RB 3025)
- RIV 823 - Feel Good Blues (Vocal by Bear Miller; formerly RB 3084)
We've Got The Music was recorded by Roger Whittaker under the title "I Was Born." And, if you're looking for music for a movie night, You'll Never Know won the 1943 Academy Award for Best Original Song. (Sung by Alice Faye in "Hello Frisco Hello.")
Posted on Thursday March 08, 2018Here's the third in our new series of smaller packages (and the second in 2018). We're calling it 2018 Spring Gold, and it features two patters and 6 singing calls for $40, or you can buy individual titles for $10 each:
- RIV 1008 - File Gumbo (Patter) (Basic and Advanced vocals by Ted Kennedy)
- RIV 1009 - Dream Softly (Vocal by Duke Okada, Mitchell Osawa and Kumi Takahashi, with a harmony track by Duke and Kumi)
- RIV 1010 - Shine Your Way (Vocal by Kiyomi Taneyama and Max Masao Ringe with TWO harmony tracks -- one for ladies by Masao, one for men by Kiyomi)
- RIV 1011 - Country Boy Like Me, A (Vocal by Jack O'Leary)
- RIV 1012 - Chime Bells (Vocals by Ken Burke and Carol Hilliard (Reardon), and two different key instrumentals are included)
- RIV 1013 - Running Kind / Lonesome Fugitive (Vocal by Elmer Sheffield)
- RIV 1014 - Don't Forget To Remember Me (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, with a split track harmony cut included)
- RIV 1015 - Lone Ranger (Patter) (Plus, Advanced and Challenge vocals by Darryl Lipscomb)
These are now available on the Packages page at the Riverboat website!
Posted on Tuesday February 27, 2018We're a little late getting our March releases out. (Usually we like to get them out around the middle of the preceeding month, but we got sidetracked this time around!)
We have three new patters, and two singing calls from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 822 - Plan Ahead (Patter)
- RIV 821 - Alpine Patter
- RIV 820 - Mardi Gras (Patter)
- RIV 819 - Hello Dolly (Vocal by Elmer Sheffield, formerly RBS 1348)
- RIV 818 - Say You Love Me Again (Vocal by Dan Nordbye; harmony by Carol Hilliard (Reardon) with a split track; formerly RB 198)
(I never knew that the title to that last song was "Say You Love Me Again" -- I always thought it was "Rub It In!")
All of these are now available on the Riverboat website. Check them out -- and check back frequently, because we'll be releasing our next mini-package (2018 Spring Gold) in March!
Posted on Friday January 26, 2018Here are our February releases: 3 new patters, and 2 songs from the classic Red Boot library...
- RIV 813 - Hooked On Music (with ESP's Elmer Sheffield's original vocal from the RBS 1260 Red Boot release)
- RIV 814 - Canadian Mist (patter)
- RIV 815 - Hacienda (patter)
- RIV 816 - Dreamy Disco (patter)
- RIV 817 - He Got You (vocal by Dan Nordbye, including versions with background vocals with and without a split track; formerly RB 295)
Posted on Monday January 01, 2018Happy New Year!
With the coming of 2018, we're releasing the second in our new "Mini-Package" concept. (The first, of course, was the 2017 Christmas package with 6 titles.) We have 8 new titles, including 7 singing calls and one patter:
- RIV 1000 - Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby (Vocal by Ken Bower)
- RIV 1001 - Story Of My Life (Vocal by Nils Trottmann)
- RIV 1002 - Fare Thee Well (Vocal by Silver Sounds' Jack O'Leary)
- RIV 1003 - Chasin' That Neon Rainbow (Vocal by Ted Clements)
- RIV 1004 - Best Is Yet To Come (Vocal by Paul Moore)
- RIV 1005 - When Can I See You Again (Vocal by Masao Max Ringe)
- RIV 1006 - My Tipperary Girl (Vocal by Silver Sounds' Jack O'Leary)
- RIV 1007 - Raspberry Pi (Patter)
"My Tipperary Girl" will make a good song for St. Patrick's Day in March. ("Fare Thee Well" also has a hint of the Irish to it.) "Raspberry Pi" is a version of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Bluesberry Hill," but it's not an exact note-for-note reproduction -- give it a listen!
The package price is $40 for all 8 titles, but you can buy single titles out of the package for $10 each. (So, if you like more than three, just get the whole thing!)
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578