(as of 2018-05-21)
|All Time||Last 12 Months||Last 30 Days|
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Friday May 18, 2018We have three new patters, and six re-releases from the classic Red Boot library, including two patriotic songs in time for Memorial Day and the 4th of July:
- RIV 852 - Arkansas Traveler (Patter)
- RIV 851 - Seahorses (Patter)
- RIV 850 - Brussel Sprouts (Patter)
- RIV 849 - Baby I'm Burning(Vocal by Bob Elling, formerly RB 242)
- RIV 848 - America The Beautiful (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly GS 715)
- RIV 847 - God Bless America (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone, formerly GS 712)
- RIV 846 - Song In The Night (Original Red Boot vocal by Bill Harrison (courtesy ESP Recordings), formerly RB 293)
- RIV 844 - Ragged But Right (Vocal by Steve Moore (courtesy Chic Recordings), formerly GS 721)
- RIV 843 - Gonna Have A Party (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly RB 286; includes harmony track)
We'd like to credit Terry Reardon from San Diego for mixing and enhancing the music on these re-releases. Dan also spent a whole day in Terry's studio, recording vocals. Thanks, Terry!
Posted on Tuesday May 01, 2018Our latest mini-package has just hit the website! 2018 Summer Gold features 8 titles for $40, or you can buy individual titles for $10 each.
One of these titles is a patter that has been creating a stir on Facebook by callers who heard it prior to its release. RIV 1022 - Boogie Sticks is now available!
The full list of Summer Gold titles:
- RIV 1016 - Heaven Is My Woman's Love (Vocal by ESP's Elmer Sheffield)
- RIV 1017 - Calico Pie (Vocal by ESP's Darryl Lipscomb)
- RIV 1018 - When I Saw Your Face In The Moon (Vocal by Ron Schneider)
- RIV 1019 - Turn It On (Vocal by Dan Nordbye; split-track harmony and background vocals by Chic's Steve Moore and by Carol Hilliard (Reardon))
- RIV 1020 - Big Rock Candy Mountains (Vocal by Chic's Scott Smith)
- RIV 1021 - I Wish It Would Rain (Vocal by Mike Pogue)
- RIV 1022 - Boogie Sticks (Patter)
- RIV 1023 - One And Only (Vocal by Ko Iwata, Keita Takahata, Elite's Mitchell Osawa and Kumi Takahashi)
All now available at the Riverboat website, on the Packages page.
Pick one or two, or get all 8 for half the price of the individual titles!
Posted on Tuesday April 17, 2018This time around, we have two brand-new songs from our Japanese friends, four songs from the classic Red Boot library, and three new patters:
- RIV 839 - Mama (Patter)
- RIV 838 - Romeo (Patter)
- RIV 837 - Wizard Of Oz (Patter)
- RIV 836 - This Is My Year For Mexico (Vocal by Ted Clements, formerly RB 196)
- RIV 835 - Hello Mexico (Vocal by Ted Clements, formerly RBS 1246)
- RIV 834 - Boogie Grass Saturday Night (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly RB 3010)
- RIV 833 - Take Me Out To The Ball Game (Vocal by Bob Elling, with harmony on a split track by Dan Nordbye, Terry Reardon, Carol Hilliard and Leo Catt [courtesy Fine Tune Records]; formerly JBK 122)
- RIV 832 - Jesus Is Your Ticket To Heaven (Vocal by Duke Okada, Mitchell Osawa, Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Duke and Kumi)
- RIV 831 - You Can Feel It In Your Soul (Vocal by Max Masao Ringe, Keita Takahata, Mitchell Osawa, Kumi Takahashi, with harmony [with or without bass] by Masao, Keita and Kumi)
Posted on Wednesday April 04, 2018We've just added female versions of two songs out of our existing catalog:
- RIV 774 - I Need A Hero (female vocal by Krista Baird)
(From our 2018 Riverboat Gold package)
- RIV 352 - Medals For Mothers (female vocal by Regina Schulz)
Besides the vocals, I Need A Hero also includes a music track pitched for the female vocalist. Medals For Mothers now has a split-track harmony, with music on one channel and the harmony vocals on the other, so you can mix it to your satisfaction.
Also -- Medals For Mothers is a great song for Mother's Day, which is coming up next month. The orignal music that Justin Russell recorded his vocal on is still good for guys, but ladies can try the female tracks as well!
Posted on Friday March 23, 2018Here come our April releases: 5 singing calls (mostly from the classic Red Boot library, but one is a Riverboat tune from pre-website days), and 3 new patters!
- RIV 830 - Just Can't Wait (Patter)
- RIV 829 - Calendar Girl (Patter)
- RIV 828 - Together We Dance (Patter)
- RIV 827 - You'll Never Know (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone; formerly RBS 1295)
- RIV 826 - We've Got The Music (Vocal by Ken Burke)
- RIV 825 - Tonight Carmen's Coming Back Home (Vocal by Scott Smith of Chic Recordings; formerly FW 507)
- RIV 824 - Dumas Walker (Vocal by Dan Nordbye; Harmony by Carol Hilliard (Reardon); formerly RB 3025)
- RIV 823 - Feel Good Blues (Vocal by Bear Miller; formerly RB 3084)
We've Got The Music was recorded by Roger Whittaker under the title "I Was Born." And, if you're looking for music for a movie night, You'll Never Know won the 1943 Academy Award for Best Original Song. (Sung by Alice Faye in "Hello Frisco Hello.")
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578