(as of 2019-01-18)
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Thursday January 17, 2019Now that our webmaster has a working internet connection again, we can bring out our releases for January. There's a new song, two re-releases from the classic Red Boot library, and three new patters:
- RIV 891 - Blueberry Pie (Patter)
- RIV 890 - Heartland (Patter)
- RIV 889 - Promise (Patter)
- RIV 888 - Deep River Woman (Vocal and harmony by the "BC Boys" -- Ray Brendzy [courtesy Lou-Mac Records], Steve Edlund, Brent Mawdsley; formerly RBS 1306)
- RIV 887 - Ace In The Hole (Vocal by Dan Nordbye; formerly RBS 1326)
- RIV 886 - Hurricane (Vocal and harmony by Duke Okada, Kumi Takahashi)
In addition, the "BC Boys" (Ray, Steve and Brent) have done an alternate vocal and harmony track for RIV 560 - Goodnight Sweetheart. This includes an enhanced music track, with the key changed to the key of D. Anyone who's already purchased RIV 560 and would like the new tracks for free, please contact Bob Elling directly!
Posted on Thursday December 20, 2018We have a few releases coming out just before Christmas: 3 patters, two new singing calls, and a re-release from the classic Red Boot library...
- RIV 885 - Happy Birds (Patter)
- RIV 884 - Mountain Dew With Banjo (Patter)
- RIV 883 - Future Is Bright (Patter)
- RIV 882 - From A Jack To A King (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly RBS 1320)
- RIV 881 - It's A Great Day To Be Alive (Vocal by Gaku Nakagawa, Mitchell Osawa, Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Kumi)
- RIV 880 - Little Mountain Church House (Vocal by Mitchell Osawa, Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Kumi)
Not Christmas songs, but possibly good Christmas presents for your favorite caller!
Posted on Friday November 16, 2018Just a few this time around, because we just released our Christmas Mini-Package at the start of the month. We have a re-release from the classic Red Boot library, and two new songs from our Japanese contingent:
- RIV 879 - Paper Roses (Vocal by Dan Nordbye; formerly RBS 1281)
- RIV 878 - Soggy Bottom Summer (Vocal by Hide Takahashi and family, Naomi Tomosada and family, and Mitchell Osawa [courtesy Elite Records])
- RIV 877 - Gonna Meet A Cowboy (Vocal by Kumi Takahashi and Noriko Shinogaya)
If you haven't heard it before, Gonna Meet A Cowboy is a lively song originally from the debut album of the "Sunny Cowgirls."
Posted on Saturday November 03, 2018We've been agonizing over this one for a while. We wanted to bring it out a month ago or more, to give more time before the season starts, but it took time to get all the music and vocals together. However, now it's ready: the 2018 Riverboat Christmas Package!
We have 7 titles, including 3 patters and 4 singing calls, including both male and female keys on several, and a number of international vocals!
- RIV 1033 - Figgy Pudding (Patter)
- RIV 1034 - Oh Holy Night (Vocals by Brent Mawdsley, Krista Baird, Nils Trottmann, Jack O'Leary, Kumi Takahashi, and Hanna Tenenbaum)
- RIV 1035 - At Christmas (Vocal by Dan Nordbye)
- RIV 1036 - Silver Bells (Vocals by Dan Nordbye, Ken Bower, and Carol Hilliard (Reardon))
- RIV 1037 - Country Christmas (Vocals by Steve Moore and Carol Hilliard (Reardon))
- RIV 1038 - Reindeer Romp (Patter)
- RIV 1039 - Holiday Patter
Oh Holy Night includes not just male and female keys, but vocals in German, Spanish, French, Japanese and Swedish! Silver Bells and Country Christmas include music and vocals in male and female keys, and the former also includes harmony tracks for both male and female.
As with our other mini-packages, you can buy single titles out of this package for $10 apiece -- or get the full package for half off the price of all the single titles!
Posted on Wednesday October 10, 2018For a change, our October releases are actually coming out in October this time around! We have a patter and 3 singing calls...
- RIV 874 - Calico Cat (Patter) (Plus and A2 vocals by Darryl Lipscomb of ESP Recordings)
- RIV 873 - Over In The Glory Land (Vocal by Tac Ozaki, Duke Okada, Mitchell Osawa [Elite Records], Kumi Takahashi; includes 2 harmony tracks)
- RIV 872 - Down On The Farm (Vocal by Steve Moore of Chic Recordings)
- RIV 871 - This Is Me (Vocal by Kaneko Jr.)
This Is Me is from the motion picture "The Greatest Showman," done as an ensemble number in the film. You can see a clip of the film version on YouTube.
In addition, we have a new female vocal and female-key instrumental for RIV 513 - Simple Gifts (Lord of the Dance), by Lisa Lincoln. Those of you who've already purchased Simple Gifts can contact Bob Elling directly to receive the new tracks.
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578